Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hanging out the laundry

I really enjoy hanging laundry out to dry. In fact, I find that if I approach it in the right frame of mind, it's a task that can restore my soul.

There are plenty of practical benefits:
  • You don't waste energy by running the clothes dryer.
  • Clothing and bedding smell fresher.
  • You can forgo ironing and put clothes straight into drawers or closets.
And then there are the non-tangibles:
  • The peaceful nature of hanging the clothes out on the line. As you bend and stretch, you can't help but notice, even relish the warm sunshine on your back, the caressing breeze on your arms, the sounds of nature around you.
  • The sense of accomplishment in a job completed and even done well. I consciously group similar items and colors -- the family's pajamas, my son's t-shirts, pants -- on separate lines, giving the clotheslines an order.

But to capture the non-tangibles, you have to stay in the moment. You can't become overwhelmed by the number of items you need to hang. You can't let your mind race ahead thinking about what you'll do next. You can't worry about running out of clothespins or line.

Of course, summer only lasts a few short months here in Duluth.

1 comment:

  1. I have been sad about how few days have been good this summer for hanging out laundry. It's a barometer, for sure.

    ReplyDelete