Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Really good music

My son's snowshoe outing at Hartley Nature Center was canceled this morning because of the subzero temperatures. I was all set to accompany his preschool class as a chaperone. The news disappointed both of us.

We found a good substitute in sitting in our sun-filled living room, listening to some really good music and perusing my son's collection of Spiderman and other super heroes books.

Peas on the Butterknife is a compilation of songs by Chequamegon Bay-area musician Bruce Burnside, who plays very sweet banjo and mandolin. As a native West Virginian who has heard some of the best old-time fiddle and banjo music at that state's Folk Festival, I found Burnside's music, especially his Civil War tunes, sending me into a deep reverie about home.

As my son transitioned from super heroes to looking up in his father's Lake Superior Rocks and Minerals Guide the rocks he has collected, my reverie was broken. Ah, the joys of being a mother. It's time to read about basalt and epidote.

No comments:

Post a Comment