Thursday, May 20, 2010

Refreshing respite

My exercise buddy and I hiked up to Fifth Falls in Gooseberry Falls State Park today.

We climbed on the basalt rocks at the base of the falls, listening to the pounding of the rushing water and feeling its cool, refreshing spray on our skin. We spied a bit of ice still tucked in a cave in the rock wall on the shaded side of the river. Our side, gently sloping hillside primarily covered in pines and cedars, was in full sun.

I turned away from the falls to take in the view downstream. I could see the fallen tree beside the river where we had sat and ate our lunch -- fresh veggies and hummus on pita and juicy tangerines.

I silently walked to the edge of rock hanging over the cascading river. I closed my eyes, raised up on my toes, stretched out my arms and imagined what cliff divers feel like before they take the plunge. My exercise buddy broke my moment of reverie, imploring me not to jump.

I took a deep breath, then laughing, explained what I had been visualizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment