Monday, October 25, 2010

Lost in the corn maze


The spur-of-the moment call came from my sister-in-law: "Do you want to meet me and the twins up at Engwall's corn maze?"

I conferred with my son who had been on a field trip there with his kindergarten class four days earlier. He was excited at the prospect of going back into the maze and, especially, leading his younger cousins through it.

The weather was sunny and crisp -- a perfect fall day. We arrived, barely on time. My sister-in-law got "bridged" by two ships, one out-going, one in-going. By the time they arrived, my son had checked out the Halloween garden decorations and visited with a former preschool buddy who had moved away.

He eagerly ran to show his younger cousins how to climb up and over the lookout tower and the entrance to the maze. Once inside, total chaos reigned. His cousins wouldn't follow him, choosing to go in divergent directions. His preschool friend joined the crowd. No one, save an occasional adult, followed the paths.

Somehow, we found all the letters in the maze that solved a scramble puzzel but one. It says, "Lost in the corn maze," my son informed us. Good thing he had been there before.

No comments:

Post a Comment