Sunday, October 23, 2011

Our tomato harvest


I've been playing Russian roulette with my tomatoes.

Each day I bring in a shirttail full of tomatoes, mostly yellow and orange. But I keep leaving the green ones out on the vines, hoping for a few more warm days and frost-free nights. Most gardeners I know have harvested theirs already.

But as usual this time of year, the number of ripe and non-ripe tomatoes sitting on my Hoosier cabinet is growing.

We have been eating a lot of salads, grilled cheese with tomato sandwiches, and tomato and cucumber with hummus in pita. My husband has been cooking the green ones -- which stay firm and taste sweet this way -- in our Sunday morning omelettes.

And yesterday I cooked and froze a batch of basic tomato sauce. We ladled some of the still warm sauce on our cheese ravioli last night. The freshness can't be beat.

I think I will try roasted tomato sauce next.

No comments:

Post a Comment