Sunday, November 20, 2011

Daddy's amazing bargain (or good fortune)


My son's birthday was Friday. He turned 7.

Two weeks ago, my husband won -- with just one $2 raffle ticket -- the "Lego Mania" basketful of Lego kits at Congdon Park Foundation's annual auction.

We already had some smaller gifts bought, but hadn't yet decided on what Sam's "big" present would be. The basket completed our shopping.

When we presented his big gift at his birthday party last night, my son's eyes grew wide in amazement. His Dad had been telling him that he spent $2 on his birthday gift. "How'd you do that, Dad?" my son questioned after looking at the 13 boxes and bags of Legos.

Since waking at 6, he has spent the morning building and playing with one of the smaller "Alien Conquest" sets and closely examining the others. "This must have been a really good deal," he said to me, guessing that one of the Lego boxes must be worth at least $5. I pointed to the $29.95 pricetag on the box.

His eyes grew wide. "Dad, how did you do that?" he asked again, laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment