Monday, March 30, 2015

Big Adventure




My son and I shared a very noteworthy adventure this past week. We spent three days at Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center with the entire fourth grade from his school.

We experienced the outdoors and challenged ourselves in a variety of ways. Seven birds, mostly chickadees, landed on Sam's head during his birds class. We both completed the high ropes course, rode a zip line, learned how to belay a climber and washed cafeteria dishes during our turn at KP duty. He climbed a rock wall, uncovered skeletal remains in an owl pellet and wove a beautiful dream catcher. I helped students stay safe, dress appropriately for cold weather activities, find their classes, make it to meals on time, get some sleep, and look for a glove dropped in the woods.
His survival class experience didn't go so well when someone in the group knocked the water for hot chocolate onto their fire (at least they got the fire started).  And I could have better coordinated my group of girls' three different schedules so all got to their classes on time.

I know I stretched outside my comfort zone quite a bit. I'm sure he did too.


No comments:

Post a Comment