Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Happy I live in Minnesota

DFL caucus-goers search for their precinct rooms at Duluth East High School on Tuesday./ DNT photo
Looking at my state's caucus results today, I'm happy to say I live in Minnesota. That more voters in our state chose Bernie Sanders over Hilary Clinton, says to me our DFLers are aspiring. That they chose Marco Rubio over Donald Trump or Ted Cruz, says to me our Republicans are more rational.

Tom and I stopped in at our precinct's DFL caucus last night at East High School to cast ballots for a presidential candidate. Sam, 11, listened from the backseat while we discussed Hilary vs, Bernie on the drive there. Walking the few blocks away we had to park, we talked about him looking for campaign buttons and stickers. Entering the crowded lobby and hallways, the energy was palpable. It was a good energy, not angry.

We waited in line to get into the busy, crowded classroom where our precinct's caucus was being held. Our neighbor from across the street registered us. Another person I recognized loaned us her pen. As an election judge serving my precinct's voters for the last nine years, these actions represented an odd "turn of the tables" for me. I had never participated in a caucus before, although I covered them once as a newspaper reporter.

We chose to vote and leave rather than participate in the caucus discussion. Tom needed to get back to his work, it was a school night for Sam.

Bernie Sanders and Hilary Clinton laugh during CNN debate.
Once home, Sam put the Hilary sticker he had scored on his water bottle, and wished he'd gotten a Bernie sticker too. (A caucus worker fashioned one out campaign literature and masking tape, but it wasn't the same.)

On his way upstairs to bed, he quietly told me he voted for Bernie Sanders in his school election. I had heard him earlier in the week speaking against Donald Trump because of the things he had said about Muslims, building a wall around Mexico, and because "he lies." He showed me Bernie's "A President who will:" campaign literature in explaining why, pointing to "Act to Stop Climate Change" and "Make public colleges tuition-free" bullet points.

I have to admit I didn't vote for Bernie, choosing the DFL candidate I believed more "realistic" in her campaign goals and in winning the presidency. But I love that my son chose him. I hark back to Paul Wellstone. And I hope that some day, I again will choose the "idealistic."

No comments:

Post a Comment