Friday, March 30, 2018

Best Passover seder yet

As the first night of Passover approached, we found ourselves stuck in urgent care waiting to learn if our son had broken his toe when his foot connected with a metal door instead of a soccer ball earlier that day in gym. We realized he was in too much pain even if we did get free in time to make it to a friend's seder.

Arriving home around 6 p.m., my husband and I kicked preparations for our own mini-seder into high gear.
Fortunately, I had made matzoh ball soup, charoset and almond macaroons the night before. And I had most, though no chicken or lamb bone, of the ritual foods for the seder plate.

While my husband carved and charred a wooden bone (it's the symbolism that counts) for the plate and copied off a "two-minute" haggadah from The Jew in You, I heated the soup, set up the seder plate and pulled together the saltwater, parsley, horseradish, charoset, matzah and four cups of wine we would eat and drink during the ritual blessings and readings.

Our "festive meal" that followed consisted of the soup, matzah pizza and macaroons. Hey! I can't be expected to pull off a miracle.

Our seder and meal were completed in about an hour's time, and we retired to the living room in pajamas to play "Exodus: The Game of Passover." From my son's laughter at some of his Dad's trivia question answers, despite the pain, I knew that this Passover will be one we always remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment