Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Expecting nothing and still disappointed

I received a call from a woman from my bank yesterday afternoon. She had reviewed my accounts and was happy to inform me that, as a preferred customer, she could move my savings into a higher interest money market account or certificate of deposit, whichever I preferred. Oh and, of course, I'm pre-approved for one of the bank's credit cards, too. I asked her a few questions about any conditions attached to the money market account and if she could make the shift without me coming down to the bank. She would make the change to the higher interest account right away, she said.

She commented on the commencing snowstorm and asked if I was lucky to have had the day off or gotten home early. I'm recently unemployed, I told her.

This morning, I got a call from the same woman. It turns out that she can't offer me the higher interest money market account unless I have a "premium" checking account. That would require that I always have automatic deposit of a paycheck into my checking account. And since I won't have any check to automatically deposit when my unemployment runs out, I don't qualify for the offer she made me yesterday, she said.

Having never expected much in the way of service from this national banking firm, I shouldn't have been disappointed. But she's the one who called me with the offer then failed to deliver. At least this incident settles the decision of where my husband and I set up the accounts for our new business. That will be at his credit union, of course.

1 comment:

  1. The same thing happened to us recently when we were making plans for our big 20th anniversary trip to N.Y. -- first they wanted to extend a line of credit, then, woa! not so fast you financial cripples!

    ReplyDelete