Thursday, June 4, 2009

The purist in me

On Memorial Day weekend, I tasted my first s'more. I roasted the marshmallows while my sister-in-law doled out the chocolate and graham crackers, and everyone assembled their own.

Some guests at our backyard barbecue were surprised I had never eaten a s'more in all of my 40-plus years. My brother-in-law theorized that it was because, well, you start eating the graham cracker or the chocolate and you just never quite get around to making them.

The real reason is that when it comes to treats, I'm a purist.

I like my pumpkin pie without whipped cream. I like my ice cream without toppings or sprinkles. I prefer my graham crackers dipped in milk and my marshmallows floating in hot chocolate. Dark Hershey's kisses are the only chocolates I cannot live without.

Don't get me wrong. The s'mores tasted good. My 4-year-old son and 3-year-old nephews loved them. I may even eat another one in my next 40-plus years.

No comments:

Post a Comment