Thursday, August 6, 2009

The toy museum


Glen Dale, W.Va., where I grew up, was once home to the Marx Toy Factory, makers of the original Big Wheel, Rock'em Sock'em Robots, Johnny and Jane West action dolls and other toys of my childhood.

We toured the Marx Toy Museum in the neighboring town of Moundsville yesterday, and I was rocketed back in time. "I used to play with that," I found myself telling my son. "Your Uncle Mike had one of those," and "Your Daddy used to play with those."

He was entertained by it all and particularly enjoyed knocking the "block" off my robot.

A note to my cousins: They had the same dollhouse furniture we played with in our grandma's basement and those tiny cases of Coca-Cola that fit into the pop delivery truck she had in her garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment