Sunday, August 9, 2009

The wedding


My oldest cousin's son, Michael, married yesterday.

Attending his sixth wedding in four years, I found my son to be poised and confident when participating in family traditions such as the bridal dance and more common traditions such as the throwing of the garter.

My son didn't hesitate to throw his dollar bill into the family's old yellow Dan Dee potato chip can and wait in line for his turn to dance with the bride.

He snatched up the garter after it landed on the floor in front of a group of much older young men, some already engaged, who weren't so enthusastic about catching it.

If you believe in tradition -- that whoever catches the garter will be the next to marry -- the young men in our families are going to have a long wait. When we got home that night, my son informed me, "Momma, I'm not going to get married until after I grow up."

No comments:

Post a Comment