Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Life's necessities

Being laid off has changed my personal shopping wish list -- dramatically.

The first necessity in this unemployed's wardrobe was a new pair of blue jeans. When I was spending most of my waking life at work, I could get by with the pair of tatty jeans that I wore for gardening and cleaning the house. Not anymore. I needed a pair that look good enough for running errands or visiting the in-laws.

Unemployment-ville requires a casual look and entirely different gear than corporate-dom.

Forget that versatile black jacket, I need a life jacket that's short enough it doesn't interfere with paddling a kayak. For years I tried unsuccessfully to replace my low black pumps. No longer. Now I'm in need of plastic garden clogs so I can head out into our soggy backyard, rainboots so I can stomp around in puddles with my son, water shoes to wear this summer in Sweet Lake and snowshoes for trekking outdoors next winter. Instead of nice wool dress pants, I need to find a pair of waterproof lined workout pants that will keep me dry and warm.

As to blue jeans, yesterday I bought a second pair, so I have some to wear when my other pair is in the wash. They were on sale, plus Jacques C. Penne' had sent me one of those $10 off coupons on any item that costs $10 or more. (More on the art of penny-pinching later.)

If you think you might be laid off, the experts advise you to save six months of salary and get your medical, dental and eye exams while you're still working. But I see nothing wrong, too, in gearing up for that lifestyle change.

1 comment: