Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The little wagon that could

My husband started walking to work this week, part of his plan to gear up for summer cycling and other outdoor activities.

My son and I were invited to rendezvous with him Monday afternoon on his walk home. Knowing the uphill trek might be too much for my son, I carried his bright red Radio Flyer town and country edition wagon up from the basement. He happily climbed aboard and we set off.

The initial hill, a block-long climb up from our house, was easy. So was the straight shot to and across the bridge. But midway up the second of three hills we had to climb, I could feel the pull on my upper back and chest. Our pace slowed. Too-high curb cuts, lingering snow piles and muddy spots became a challenge.

We met Daddy midway up the third hill. "I'll drive," he volunteered cheerfully, turning the wagon around and heading downhill.

No comments:

Post a Comment