Monday, May 25, 2009

A boy's treasures


My son is a collector.

I think it all started when he went on a nature hike at his preschool last fall. He collected a zip-lock bag full of leaves and pine cones. It still sits on my desk.

He comes home with pockets full of rocks and wood chips from the playground. He's generous with his collections. He picks out special rocks for Mommy and others just for Daddy.

His hobby has its challenges. One day, after another hike at his preschool, he couldn't get up the stairs to music class without his blue jeans falling down. He had packed too many rocks in all of his jeans pockets. I have to turn out his pockets over the trash can before I wash pants.

And of course there's the obvious, what do we do with all of these rocks? We've settled that issue. In the winter, they go in his rock box. When summer arrives, we throw most of the rocks into our pond. Special ones go in our planters around the house.

I'm thankful his collections have involved inaminate objects, so far. Just yesterday, he showed me something he found (see picture) when he and his Daddy rebuilt our pond's stream bed.

Does anybody need any wood chips?

No comments:

Post a Comment