Monday, May 18, 2009

Returning to work

I return to work today -- sort of.

This afternoon, I'm scheduled to meet with my new employers for a contract writing job that will last about six weeks. I don't know what all I'm writing yet, but I do know the deadline.

I should be excited about getting back to work, even if it is temporary. (I still sense a loss of purpose since my September layoff.) But there's a sadness here I didn't expect.

I've come to like my new routine. Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays are my stay-at-home Mommy days. And I've learned to be happy and content if I don't get anything else accomplished on those days but being with my 4-year-old son. Tuesdays are my errand and housekeeping days. Thursdays are reserved for my major exercise outings and working on projects of my choosing.

This morning, that routine changed. I took my son to preschool, explaining that he will attend more days a week now until my new job is completed. I traded my blue jeans for work clothes. I printed out my contract and directions to the office. I prepared my thoughts on the overview piece that I will be researching and writing.

Don't get me wrong. I look forward to the work. But I'm losing time and freedom -- for about six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment