Monday, May 11, 2009

One good reason not to live in Duluth

"You can't fight city hall." That's a motto that certainly rings true in Duluth, Minnesota.

My husband received a parking ticket on Dec. 26 for not having moved his car 24 hours after a snowstorm. Our family had traveled to a holiday event on Dec. 24 in our other vehicle. We all stayed home on Dec. 25. There wasn't any reason for us to move the car.

Except for the city's parking rules.

Believing the ticket to be frivilous, my husband went to city hall to appeal it. Because of the holidays, he couldn't have a hearing until after the first of the year. The city worker assured him he wouldn't incur late charges for not paying the fine on time since the hearing was scheduled for after that deadline.

The police officer who investigated his appeal sympathized with him over the ridiculousness of many of Duluth's parking laws, including the one he had violated. However, he had violated the law even if it was a disagreeable law. So, we had to pay the $21 parking fine. (I mailed the check.)

Today I received a "delinquent violation notice" in the mail. Although the fine had been paid, it hadn't been paid on time. I owe another $45, or I face 1.) being turned into the credit bureau, 2.) losing my driver's license, and 3.) having my vehicle(s) towed.

1 comment: